The Georgia Youth Science and Technology Centers (GYSTC) Inc. in collaboration with the University System of Georgia, the Technical College System of Georgia and the Georgia Department of Education invite you to participate in a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Academy for science and mathematics teachers. The STEM Teacher Academy will focus on integrating STEM education content with business-industry best practices to provide teachers real-world experiences that can be utilized in the classroom. The STEM Teacher Academy is open to 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th grade mathematics and science teachers. It is filled with professional learning workshops, teacher-modeling, instructional support, field trips to observe real-world applications of STEM subject matter and opportunities for networking with teachers from across the state.
The STEM Academy is an engaging experience for school districts interested in creating a STEM culture within their districts. We cultivate STEM change agents through five interactive sessions that includes hands-on activities as well as a culminating project. Not only do we challenge teachers to think “outside” the box but we take them “outside” of the classrooms to experience STEM in real-world settings.
The cost is $695 to participate in this Academy and includes all materials. It is mandatory that the participating teacher attends all meetings in order to be recognized at the end of the Academy. Due to the importance of attending each date, we are unable to offer any make-up days or assignments. Please be sure that the teacher is fully committed and is able to complete the Academy.
Please complete the registration form below. Registration deadline is August 7, 2020 with the academy running from August-May. For additional details, you may contact our office at (470) 578-7592.
(NOTE: We are no longer accepting cash for program registrations. You can either pay online or in person with a check. No refunds will be given to cancellations 7 days prior to the start of your scheduled event. Failure to attend your scheduled event will also result in loss of payment.)
STEM Teacher Academy 2020-2021 Schedule:
- Orientation and Observation of STEM real-world applications
- Monday, August 17, 2020 – Location TBA
- Integrating STEM Concepts and Practices in the Classroom- Part 1
- Monday, September 14, 2020 – Location TBA
- Integrating STEM Concepts and Practices in the Classroom- Part 2
- Monday, October 5, 2020 – Location TBA
- Integrating STEM Concepts and Practices in the Classroom- Part 3
- Monday, November 2, 2020 – Location TBA
- Using STEM Concepts in the Classroom
- November 15, 2020 – February 28, 2021 (one-on-one in-classroom coaching)
- Teacher Recognition and Observation of STEM real-world applications
- Monday, May 10, 2021 – Location TBA
Registration will soon be available